The tin of Danbolin had been brought inside yesterday so that it could warm up a touch before being used. The battery tray in the engine bay got a coat, this would take the rest of the day and overnight to dry.
Time to bring a battery inside. The plank was positioned to aid getting the heavy black box onboard and then it was brought down the stern steps. The steps then needed removing so that the cupboard would be more accessible. The steps will now live on the dinette table for a while and access will only be through the bow doors, the stern doors being kept lock from inside so that we don’t forget!
Everything seemed dry in the cupboard today, so in went the battery onto the floor of the cupboard. A shelf will need to be made and supported above it before items can be organised in The Shed again. The cables will come down from behind the board (at the top of the photo) which covers the hole from the engine bay, the shelf will need to accomodate the cables.
Inside I mixed some Bar Keepers Friend into a paste with a few drops of water, I applied it to the stains on the top of the drawingboard slot. Would this work? I’d see. This was left to dry whilst we had bowls of warming chicken soup for lunch. The dried paste was then scraped off, the residue rubbed away with a green pan scrubber, everywhere was then hoovered. The stains had vanished! A wipe with white spirit and it was left to dry.
I decided to do the same with marks on the window frames and along the wooden trim of the side hatch, this gets wet paws applied frequently to it and was looking quite dark. The BKF certainly bleached down the wood and brought it back to life. A coat of yacht varnish was applied to the hatch, window frames and shelves.
Possessions were moved to the front of the boat, with the old battery reconnected I could hoover through before applying oil to the floor. This should really be applied, left for ten minutes to soak into the grain, then any excess wiped off with a cloth, giving an even coverage. However, this is next to impossible on a boat. The narrow spans of floor mean you start at one end of the boat and work your way backwards. Yes I could stop every three foot and wait for ten minutes to wipe any excess away, but my knees wouldn’t have appreciated that. Hopefully after a second coat it will even things out.
Mick sat in the car waiting, not able to do anymore in the engine bay today as the temporary battery was in the way again and it was getting dark. I was glad of being able to have light inside and managed to remember to turn them off as I worked my way to the bow.
Oleanna locked up, the fire dying down. Back across the Wolds to three parcels left with our neighbour, more wonderful yarn. My old collegue Gemma in Leamington Spa had sent me a lot of part used balls of yarn, she works for Wool Warehouse now so I imagine her stash is huge.
The other two parcels were from Vykky at West Green Loft Yarns. One parcel filled with part used balls of yarn, the other a generous handfull of mini skeins. Blimey if I get more generous donations like this we’ll be needing a butty just for the yarn! Thank you!
0 locks, 0 miles, 1 battery in the shed, 1 tray grey, 3 black spots vanished, 1st coat on windows, hatch and 2 shelves, 1 temporary battery, 1st coat oil, 2 aching knees, 1 aching head, 3 parcels of yarn joy.
PS for Tom, this is the reply to your comment a month ago about our batteries.
Tom. Back when Oleanna was being built the builder suggested lithium batteries from a company called RELiON. They seemed good at the time but you may remember we had supply problems. Last summer one of the three 50ah 24v batteries went faulty. Our builder had never used RELiON again after our supply problems so they had no relationship with them. I looked at claiming under the guarantee and it turned out in the small print that the 10 year guarantee worked like this: a failure during years one to three would result in getting a foc replacement. A failure during years four to six would get you a 20% discount off a new battery. A failure from year seven to ten would get you a 10% discount off a new one. Their new prices hadn’t fallen as much as others in the lithium market so a new battery with 10% off would be more expensive than one supplied from elsewhere.
So we decided to limp on with 100Ah for the rest of the summer and decide what to do at our leisure. There is a well renowned facebook group “12 volt boating group” which has a lot of useful info and some recommended suppliers. So I have found a 24v 230Ah battery available for about a third of the price we paid for our 3 original batteries. We could keep the two batteries that are still working and add the new one to the bank but there is no access to the Battery Managment System on the old batteries so that might be problematical. So I am going to ditch the two remaining 8 year old batteries and replace them with two of the new ones giving us redundancy if one fails (thanks Paul Balmer) and a massive increase in capacity which will be very nice. I might do a blog post about it when I come to do the fitting.