Dong, Dong, Dong! 28th March


Nobody on the rides but still they turn

The flashing lights at the fairground go out at around 8.30pm and the basin becomes that bit calmer. A peaceful place to moor, well until the clock dongs! We wondered if it would go on all night, ringing out the hour and I can assure you it certainly does at 12 midnight, 3am, 5am, 6am, and 7am. At least that meant I slept for at least three hours straight.

Starting to dry up

We woke to rain, not much good for getting the starboard side washed and polished, but during the morning the skies cleared up and I got the buckets out.

No green

This is one of THOSE moorings! NO trees, no sideways trees, nowhere to dig and even the wall isn’t that inviting to climb. I tried my best to help with the washing but apparently my help wasn’t required, so I took to sussing out what was under a rampy bit. At one point it appeared as if Tilly was walking on water underneath the pontoon that leads to the permanent moorings. Maybe it was just the way her tail was, or there is something submerged under there that took her weight.

Mick gave the chimney a good sweep, but sadly this meant that the roof got a good covering of soot. I’d held back washing until he’d finished. A spray down with the hose just moved the soot around and most of it was on the offside so it will have to wait until we moor the other way round again. Our grab rail is a little bit too bulky to cling onto, along with the reduced grip of my right hand I won’t risk standing on the offside gunnel anymore.

Half the roof was washed before lunch followed by the cabin side. I then started to apply some polish just as the heavens opened! I’d started so had to finish and kept bobbing back out in between showers. I’ll have to check it’s not a state tomorrow. The windows then got a wash assisted by Tilly following my every move inside. Now I need to wash them inside!

Mick spent the day doing loads of washing. Being hooked up has meant that the machine has been going for much of the day. At first he started to use the tumble drier in the service block, but it devoured ten units for one dry which equates to nearly £7. So the drying was done on board instead, slower but much cheaper.

Scorpio working its way round the basin

During the day NB Zelda came down the lock to fill up with water, so we had a chat with them. Our paths may well cross later in the year. An old BW work boat Scorpio came down late afternoon and has been moored by the Tontine Hotel. This may be it’s mooring or it may just be here for Easter. The lock was filled and emptied several more times during the day, but this was to lower groups of kids in canoes. You could hear them coming a mile off, they sounded like they were having a good time.

The level of the sides of the basin make for a big step up onto Oleanna, the water only being half an inch lower if that. I’m really surprised that I didn’t get soggy feet each time the lock emptied.

Still no news from Finesse, a shame as here is ideal for a visit. But we’ll stay tomorrow anyway and do more washing.

0 locks, 0 miles, 3 boats, 3 locks of kids, 1 interesting ramp, 1 holy cat, 2 swans who weren’t too happy with Tilly, 1 swept chimney, 0.5 roof to rewash, 80% shiny, 20% filthy, 3 loads washing.